![]() |
| Me & my PaPa |
A few blog posts ago, I wrote about Curtis calling me his "Little Althie". This is a sweet gesture, but sometimes he follows it up with, "And I'm PaPa Lewis". He says it because he's comparing himself to the description I've given him of my PaPa's wonderful disposition. I immediately say, "NO, you are no PaPa Lewis! That's for sure!" All the while quietly thinking, "Really...no man has ever measured up to my PaPa." (ok, well, my Dad comes in at a close second. But, hey! He was my PaPa!)
My PaPa Lewis loved me unconditionally, and I knew it. Even at a very young age. I remember sitting on his lap while he sat in his rocker, taking in the pipe smell and feeling very safe and loved. We played games, went for walks, played "rib getter" (anybody remember that?) and at the end of the day...Nannie would let crawl up in the bed on her side and snuggle up to my PaPa. My favorite part of the day. PaPa was the kindest, most gentle man I ever knew. He treated me like his own, but really, I wasn't. PaPa was my grandpa only by marriage. He wasn't a blood relative so he had no obligation to love me or treat me like a grandchild. But, he chose to love me. He chose to love me more than if I was his own. Isn't that what love is all about? No conditions, no blood lines, just pure love for each other because, ultimately, we are all God's children. We are all one in his family. Oh, and by the way...I would never tell the other grandkids, but I always considered myself his favorite! ;-)
As I reflect upon the love my PaPa so graciously lavished upon me, I realize that he taught me an invaluable lesson. Loving, unconditionally and without hesitation, can bring joy and blessings beyond measure. I feel this because I love Curtis and because I love Charley. My family. Neither of them a blood relative, but it doesn't matter. They are a part of me. A part of my heart and a part of my soul. I'm sure that's how my PaPa felt. I could see it in his actions and hear it in his words.
So, to my dear sweet husband..."Yes, you ARE my 'PaPa Lewis'". You are the love that I felt from him. You are MY unconditional love, MY joy, and MY blessing. Thank you for loving me with all your heart and allowing me to love you just the same.
Love to ya,
Shell
Me, Nannie, and Papa (Mother's Day 1971)
| Me and my precious husband |


No comments:
Post a Comment