| ADOPTION DAY! |
Genesis 21:5-6 (The Message) Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born. Sarah said, God has blessed me with laughter and all who get the news will laugh with me!
On August 3rd, 2011, Charley officially became Charles Isaac Prichard. This had already happened long before in our hearts, but on this day, the state of Nebraska made it so with a piece of paper and a court hearing. I had looked forward to the day with happy anticipation, but didn't really think it would make much difference in how my heart felt about adopting a child. It was just part of the process, or at least that how I was feeling. My excitement was more about spending time with our good friends that we had left behind in Omaha. Roger and Denise (Bompa and Nonna Friesen) and Ethan and Sadie (Aunt Dee) are precious friends that stopped their busy lives to spend the whole day celebrating with us. They had planned our day from the moment we stepped off the plane to the minute we would board the plane back to Missouri. So...was the day going to make me feel any different? More like a REAL mom (something I have struggled with at times)? Well, I didn't think so, but BOY, WAS I WRONG!
It hit me early the next morning when I woke up, sat up in bed, turned to Curtis and said, "I'm a MOM! Charley is MY SON!" Of course, being as proud as I was, he quickly corrected me by saying, "He's OUR SON and I'm a DAD!" My heart felt like it was going to come out of my chest. I was so completely full of joy. Don't you think that's how Jesus feels when we chose him as our saviour?! I'm positive that he rejoices in the fact that he is once again, a DAD! WE are now His SONS and DAUGHTERS! Immediately, I silently thanked God profusely for this amazing gift. He chose ME to be a MOM. Not only a mom, but CHARLEY'S mom. That's no mistake. God knew exactly what he had in mind. And you know why I can be sure of that? Jeremiah 29:11-12 : "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." God knew that despite my flaws and my disappointments in life, that I was exactly the right mom for Charley. Even through the heartache of seeing foster children leave our home to go back to terrible living conditions, watching professors treat my husband with disrespect, experiencing health issues, and working in one of the most stressful environments for the past few years, God had a plan. I have to be honest and say that I didn't always trust him to come through with that plan like I should have. But, thankfully, He has grace enough to forgive me.
Charley completes our family. God has sealed us together in the most awesome way. One way for Curtis and I to express our commitment to Charley was for us to give him a middle name. God literally placed it on our hearts one Sunday morning in church to call him "Isaac". For those of you who don't know, Isaac was Abraham and Sarah's first son. Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when Isaac was born!! They didn't believe God when he told them that they would have a son, but sure enough...it happened! We are well aware of the fact that we are "older parents" (especially when I climb the stairs 50 times a day with Charley in tow!) and it was a process (to say the least) in accepting the idea of being responsible for a teenager at retirement age! Curtis and I love that little guy with all our hearts. And, surprisingly to me, I believe he loves us that much too. Isn't it cool how God can orchestrate such a beautiful thing? God never ceases to amaze or surprise me. I have to leave you with you with one last scripture. It makes me chuckle every time I read it because I realize that I probably am a lot like Sarah in my unfortunate lack of faith that God will carry out his divine plan.
Genesis 18:10-15: Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son."
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, "I did not laugh."
But he said, "Yes, you did laugh."
This scripture passage makes me chuckle every time I read it. God knows our hearts and he really does love us enough to want a life for us full of hope and prosperity!
We are celebrating Charley's adoption today with family and friends here in Missouri. His grandparents are so very gracious and love him so much. They're throwing a huge adoption party for Charley at their house. Can this child be any more LOVED!? Nope, I don't think so!
Love to ya,
Shell
| Charley and his Mom! |
| Charley LOVED his "Adoption Bear" |
| Charley and his DAD! |
| HAPPY ADOPTED SON!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment