Sunday, November 28, 2010

I Believe, I Believe!!


Charley and Santa - 2010
 One look at that Santa, with his real beard and the twinkle in his eye, made me want to throw my arms around him and say, "I believe, I believe!!"  But...I held back the urge. Instead, I took a bazillion pictures of Charley with him and even snuck in a couple of all of us sitting there with him in his big chair.  FUN!  Charley's first encounter with Santa was a huge success.

We met Santa at the Durham Museum in Omaha.  What a great place.  We had so much fun looking at the trains, streetcars, and other exhibits that portrayed Omaha's history.  And you should have seen the Christmas tree! Amazing!! It was the biggest tree I have ever seen!  Charley even enjoyed himself.  I know this because there was NO chance of him falling asleep (he was wound up tighter than a kite!), he went to bed early and is still sleeping now (it's almost 8:00 am!...Thank you, Lord, for a little quiet time!) 

As we were walking around, taking in all the sights, I couldn't help thinking, "Life is Good".  Spending time with my hubby and my sweet Charley.  Then, God threw me a curve ball. 

I overheard a young woman behind me say, "It's ok,sweetie.  You go play with Daddy, and I'll be upstairs waiting on you".  I turned to see her kiss her little boy, with huge tears in her eyes, and walk away.  The little boy looked up at his father and said, "Why doesn't Mommy want to come?"  This broke my heart for the little boy and I spent some time thinking about what just happened.  Were they divorced, and the boy was spending some time with his father who he doesn't see much?  Why is she crying?  I silently sent up a prayer for the young mother, asking for peace and understanding...thinking I wouldn't see her again.  God knew better.  This woman still needed prayers.

After about an hour and 1/2, Charley was getting hungry and Curtis needed some caffeine, so we headed back upstairs to the snack area to rest for a while.  I was sitting at our table, talking with Curtis and feeding Charley, when I saw the young mother again.  This time she was sitting alone on a long bench, crying...and watching US!  Talk about being humbled.  She was watching us...my little family that I was feeling so proud of.  When our eyes met, she turned away. So, instead of staring at her trying to figure out what she was thinking and why she was watching us, I turned and started praying again.  "Jesus, heal her heart and make yourself real to her.  Give her peace and allow her to feel your love for her". 

After a few minutes, the father returned with the son.  They exchanged cordial words while the child played with a toy train that his father had bought him.  The father left and the mother walked away with her child.  Did I do enough?  Should I have approached a total stranger and prayed with her, talked with her, or even shared with her that Jesus loves her and wants to take up residence in her heart? 

I don't know.  It seems that God keeps putting these experiences in my lap.  It can't be coincidence.  This is the second time I have encountered a stranger that needed prayer.  And that's what I did, but nothing more.  Did I obey?  "Father, forgive me for the things I DON'T do and give me courage to do the things You call me to do.  Please give me discernment and keep my heart humble to open to your will."

I challenge each of you to keep your eyes and heart open to the Holy Spirit.  He's alive and at work...and He may just want to use you when you least expect it.


Love to ya!
Shell



"Can we go see Santa, AGAIN?"


No comments:

Post a Comment