Last Sunday, Curtis and I dedicated Charley to the Lord. This was one of the most precious, memorable days I have ever experienced. Going into it, I was nervous. Charley is our foster child and I wasn't sure this was even "legal" in the eyes of our agency or the state. But, it was something we wanted to do and we felt like it was the right thing to do. It was a way to seal our commitment to Christ and to Charley, that we would raise him to serve and love Christ...no matter how long he is or is not with us.
The day started with us actually making it to church on time!! (a small miracle) Curtis and I had e-mailed a few of our friends about Charley's dedication, and had asked them to pray with us, for Charley, during the service. I was a little heavy-hearted because our family couldn't be there and we don't have an abundance of friends here in Omaha. I wanted to share this special time with anybody and everybody that was willing to take part!
As people started arriving, I was overjoyed to see the whole Friesen family there to support Charley. They even sat in the row with us (and passed Charley around, of course!) They are our second family here. Roger and Denise are dear friends and their daughters, Emma and Sadie, LOVE Charley. I also saw some of the other friends that we had e-mailed earlier in the week. I was starting to feel a little more "love". :-)
The dedication began with pictures scrolling on the screen of the 11 babies being dedicated. One of our pastors, Matthew, read scripture, talked about our responsibilities as parents, and asked us to stand to make a verbal commitment together. Charley's name was announced and we were introduced as his foster parents. (I could have sworn that I saw Curtis's chest swell a little with pride). Then, Matthew asked the congregation to surround each family and pray for the child. I can't tell you how many people surrounded us that day, because I didn't take a good look around. But, I do know that I felt like there were more people reaching out their hands to us, covering us in prayer, than I ever expected. It was like being in the middle of a crowd of angels. I was humbled by such expression of love by so many people, some of whom barely knew us or Charley. The words prayed aloud gave me a determination to fulfill my commitment to Charley, and the silent prayers that I heard mumbled gave me an indescribable peace. But, the most touching prayer of all, was that prayer prayed by a father for his son. Curtis prayed for Charley selflessly and without reservation. I know Charley couldn't understand what his PoPo was saying, while he sat safely in his arms, staring up at him...but I hope that somehow, someday, he will be able to feel the words that Curtis prayed.
After the dedication, we had a time of worship. God's presence filled the room and I sensed that He was as close to me as He had ever been. As I raised my hands in praise, I felt like I was touching his feet as He sat on the throne. It's rare that I get a picture from Him that's so vivid, so I knew this was a treasure.
Before worship time ended, Charley ended up back in my arms (after being passed around again. :-) Happens frequently at church!). Charley is a snuggler, but doesn't usually lay his head on my chest due to his awful congestion problem. But, on this day, Charley snuggled up to my chest, head on my shoulder, and seemed to squeeze me tight. He was loving on me and it just pierced my heart! So, I stood there, loving him back, "trying" to hold back tears of joy, love, and feeling EXTREMELY blessed.
Charley's dedication was a day I will never forget. I wish that all of you that read this post could have been there with us. Know that you were there in our hearts.
Love to ya,
Shell
Sweet post - made tears in my eyes! What a precious opportunity for you and Curtis!
ReplyDelete