Thursday, September 30, 2010

Family

                         
Charley has 5 siblings, 2 sisters and 3 brothers.  In the 3 1/2 months of his life, he has seen them twice.  They all held and kissed him, and we took pictures to remember the time spent together.   The two days that we all met together was like any other day for me.  I was hurrying around trying to get myself and Charley dressed, pack the diaper bag, and get out the door.  While we were there, I even let my mind wonder when we would be able to leave.  I enjoyed meeting his siblings, but a part of me had difficulty really digesting what this meant for the kids.  The older two held Charley for a while, but soon grew tired of playing with him, and started playing their own games.  The youngest three acknowledged Charley, but weren't old enough to grasp that this was their baby brother.

Now, weeks later, I'm feeling heavy hearted.  Charley most likely will not ever see his siblings again.  He will have pictures, but no real memories of their touch, the sound of their voice, or the joy of playing together.  His brothers and sisters will be adopted out to at least 3 different homes of wonderful people who want to care for them, but also want to go on with their lives.  I understand that.  It's just part of it...

God has allowed a heaviness to come over my heart tonight for Charley.  I'm feeling very protective...very "mother henish", I guess.  He's such an innocent and sweet baby, that most people tend to forget that life may not be so easy for him as he gets older.  I desperately want a happy life for him.   That is my prayer every day.

If you have a brother or a sister, parents, spouse, or child...give them an extra hug, kiss, pat on the back.  Whatever lets them know that you love them.  Say the words, too.  They may even be surprised to hear it.  I take for granted that I get to pick up the phone and talk to my brother and parents every day if I chose.  I can hop on a plane on any given day and see them face to face.  Not everyone can do that...not Charley.

So, I love you Chris, Amy, Chloe, Mom, Dad, Curtis, and Charley.  I'm sorry that I take our love for granted sometimes.  You guys mean everything to me.

Love to ya!
Shell

Charley and his big sister

One of Charley's brothers (he looks the most like him)



Charley and his youngest brother
 

No comments:

Post a Comment