Monday, September 27, 2010

His Little Althie

                                                  

(*I took a little hiatus for the weekend.  Computer technical difficulties, sick baby, date night with my hubby-WOO HOO!, and just plain ole' fatigue set in.  But, I think we're rested up and ready to go!)

So, I promised my hubby that I wouldn't share our "pet names"on my blog, but in order to write about him today, I find it utterly impossible to omit this sweet gesture.  When Curtis calls me his "Little Althie", he's affectionately referring to my grandmother, Altha Lewis, aka "Nannie". Nannie was one of the most loving, affectionate women that I have ever known.  I loved spending time at her house and being doted on as a young child.  Curtis didn't have the pleasure of meeting my grandmother before she passed, so everything he knows about her, he's learned from pictures and stories from my Dad.  This poses a significant gap in our perceptions of Nannie, because according to my Dad, she was a very strict, stoic woman who was in control and meant business.  This is understandable if you know my Dad, and know that my Nannie raised him alone for a good part of his childhood.  Sorry Dad, but I think Nannie had no choice but to  NOT "spare the rod". 

Why then does Curtis call me his "Little Althie"? Well, first of all, I'm built much like my Dad and my Nannie.  Large bones and (unfortunately) I'm NOT skinny.  Was that politically correct?  I think my grandmother was beautiful and, yea for me, my husband thinks I am too.  But, most of all, Curtis perceives me as "always in control and meaning business".  It sounds like we need counseling, but really, we frequently laugh about it.  It's funny when inherited traits are so obvious. (Thank you, Nannie AND Dad!) I like the name "Little Althie".  It's very endearing and it gives me the warm fuzzies because not only am I feeling affection from the love of my life, but I'm also reminded of the wonderful person I called Nannie.

                                            

I LOVE this picture.  I'm sure I was such a "stinker" and I bet my Nannie was wondering if I was "Larry Incarnate".  Hee! Hee!  Only difference...she never used the "switch" that she always made us go looking for out in the yard.  Isn't it great being a grandbaby?

Thank you, Curtis for loving me enough to make me feel endeared every day of my life with you.  I am blessed to be your "Little Althie".

Love to ya,
Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment