Friday, September 17, 2010

The Recognition of Love

It's why I do what I do.  I have gotten the comment a million times, "I could never be a foster parent.  How do you do it? Why do you do it?"  How?...  only by God's grace and mercy and the strength that comes from having Him in my heart.  Why?  Besides feeling God's calling to do this,  it's the recognition of love on their faces and in their eyes.  I saw it today with Charley.  I won't lie...my heart literally broke and I couldn't breathe when I put him in his car seat this morning, and handed him over to a worker for a visit with his bio parents.  But, when he returned 5 hours later, he looked up at me from his car seat, smiled a BIG cheesy grin and fell sound asleep.  I knew at that moment he saw it...the love.  Sounds silly, but I saw it when I was giving him a bath and changing his diaper.  He watches my face so intently, and when he knows I'm happy, he smiles.  He knows I enjoy taking care of him and he knows I LOVE him.  It's amazing to me to see this recognition at such at early age.  Lastly, I saw it when "Grandma Betty" was holding him tonight.  He was enjoying himself while on Grandma's lap, babbling to her and smiling, but every now and then he would look over my way, analyze me a bit, then give me another BIG cheesy grin.  Even though I'm not his biological mother, he recognizes my deep love for him...I'm such a lucky MoMo.

Love to ya!
Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment